Subterranean Books

Subterranean Books opened in 2000 on the Delmar Loop and has been a haven for book lovers ever since. We’re proud to have been selected Best Bookstore by the Riverfront Times five times, and we continue to offer the unusual, the classic, and the subversive to our customers. And hey, we’re independent, friendly, and growing. Check us out! The store can be contacted at 314.862.6100 or info (at) subbooks.com.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Fast Food Nation

Fast Food Nation just keeps on being relevant (Jennifer Florida?). It was first published in 2001 (I know, I know, that’s only five years ago, but five years is a long time in topical non-fiction writing) and now has served as inspiration for a Richard Linklater film. Schlosser covers all aspects of fast food: labor, marketing, the beef industry, and the history of fast food expansion. There are even brilliant chapters on the potato industry and the chemical plants that produce all those “artificial” and “natural” flavors. Really a must read for those who love or hate fast food (somehow I fall into both of those camps). With that said, I’ll be interested to see how a piece of journalism translates into a fictional film. That formula hasn’t always worked in the past (Serpent and the Rainbow), but I have faith in Linklater. Anyway, I thought you might enjoy seeing the trailer.
--Jason



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So not only have you got me thinking it's about time to reread Fast Food Nation, you've sent me searching for more from both sides. I found I missed an interesting looking Frontline from 2002; their website, as usual, has a lot to peruse*. I also learned from bestfoodnation.com, the clearly unbiased, fact-conscious other side, that there is no sh*t in the meat, that Schlosser's rhetoric is filled with nasty lies, and that "our safe, abundant, affordable, food system" is a glorious gift to the world and its children. I can see the movie picketers now: plastic arches, paper crowns, American flags.

*http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/

12:01 PM  
Blogger Subterranean Books said...

And the tears come down Ronald's face as he wails, "Why? Why, Mr. Schlosser? What have I done to you? It's all been for the children. The children!"

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home