Subterranean Books

Subterranean Books opened in 2000 on the Delmar Loop and has been a haven for book lovers ever since. We’re proud to have been selected Best Bookstore by the Riverfront Times five times, and we continue to offer the unusual, the classic, and the subversive to our customers. And hey, we’re independent, friendly, and growing. Check us out! The store can be contacted at 314.862.6100 or info (at) subbooks.com.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Kids Are Alright

Publishing for young adults has undergone a real renaissance in the last few years (thanks, Joanne ), and there’s been a plethora of great books aimed just at a teen audience. One of my recent favorites is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. The main character Tally lives in a society where everyone is beautiful. At age 16, the government transforms its citizens through extreme plastic surgery so that all will meet a governmental standard of beauty. But when Tally meets a group of renegades that rejects the artificial world of superficial beauty and who actually want to keep their physical imperfections, she begins to question everything she’s always thought to be true about the world. Westerfeld examines the idea of instant gratification and an obsession with perfection in an exciting book that will appeal to both girls and guys.

Needless to say, I've cancelled my appointment for a face lift. Y'all will just have to accept me, jowls and all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The YA titles out now are nothing like what I had twenty years ago: Sweet Valley High, which no one would be caught dead reading past sixth or seventh grade, and then graduate to the big ol' adult section.

I'm thirty-three and just read Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak. I wish I could have read it at fourteen.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

You don't have jowls!! Silly person.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Speak is one of my all time favorite books. Anderson really nails the authentic teen voice. I love her dark sense of humor. Have you read Catalyst? Melinda makes an appearance in that book also. Not as great as Speak, but well worth the time.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

"Uglies" must appeal to men in their 30s, too. I read 3/4 of it this morning, and I can't put it down.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home