Subterranean Books

Subterranean Books opened in 2000 on the Delmar Loop and has been a haven for book lovers ever since. We’re proud to have been selected Best Bookstore by the Riverfront Times five times, and we continue to offer the unusual, the classic, and the subversive to our customers. And hey, we’re independent, friendly, and growing. Check us out! The store can be contacted at 314.862.6100 or info (at) subbooks.com.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Art is Alive

Has anyone seen Remote Viewing (Invented Worlds in Recent Painting and Drawing)? It is freaking amazing. It's a current FREE exhibit at the Art Museum containing the work of 8 different contemporary artists. I know very little about the contemporary art world and some of these folks blew me away. (Although there were a couple that I hated and skipped the iPod description of.) My favorite, by far, was Matthew Ritchie. You must go see the exhibit in real life because the image shown here or on the web DOES NOT DO JUSTICE to his work. Another one I really liked was Julie Mehretu. I'd try to describe them for you but I just don't have the words or the talent. With Ritchie's work we had fun trying to find the (semi) hidden skulls, and Mehretu's has these incredible layers of drawings with some sort of coating between the layers, which makes the whole thing look a bit waxy. They did make me feel like a bit of a loser, though, because a lot of the artists were around my age. But I found the whole thing inspirational, and believe me, I have no aspirations of being an artist.

---Kelly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home