Subterranean Books

Subterranean Books opened in 2000 on the Delmar Loop and has been a haven for book lovers ever since. We’re proud to have been selected Best Bookstore by the Riverfront Times five times, and we continue to offer the unusual, the classic, and the subversive to our customers. And hey, we’re independent, friendly, and growing. Check us out! The store can be contacted at 314.862.6100 or info (at) subbooks.com.

Friday, July 14, 2006

She Used to Have A Carefree Mind of Her Own

I started reading Veronica by Mary Gaitskill (which JUST came out in paperback). I'm enjoying it although it is a really fast read. I wish I understood how that is accomplished--how it is that if you were reading it out loud you would be speakingveryquickly. Anyway, the only issue I have is that Elvis Costello is now CONSTANTLY in my head. CONSTANTLY. Which, on the whole, is not so bad. Who hasn't had some horrible (which Elvis is NOT) and terribly addicting song stuck in her mind? Lately I've been obsessing over some things I really ought not be thinking about and (on the upside) I'm hoping Mr. Costello will purge all that. He's certainly making a go of it. And since it's reading so quickly, I'll probably be done with it by the weekend, and the whole issue will be moot. So, I'm giving you a head's up, expect a little Elvis thrown in with your Veronica when you get to this one.

---Kelly

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAMMIT! Now "Veronica" is stuck in my head. What cancels out Elvis Costello? Actual Elvis? Lou Costello?
Oh, maybe the Pogues.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Subterranean Books said...

Pleeease let me know when you figure it out.--Kelly

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EUREKA!
Pere Ubu fixed it. I'm listening to a "390 Degrees of Simulated Stero" and the song "Real World" is just simple/stupid/genius/hooky enough to cancel it out. Goodbye for now, Declan.

Paul

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home